Thursday 8 March 2012

The story of Mabel the trolley

Meet Mabel, my new, well old companion.


She's in need of a makeover (only a slight one), but as she was only bought for £4.00, what do you expect.



She was found in the back of a traditional charity shop - a rare sighting now.  A charity shop where there's no formality, no 'new' items on display, no inflated prices, and certainly no order to anything.  A shop where you see old school type floor tiles on the floor, the pricing is little scraps of hand written paper stuck on with sellotape to the shelves.



The shop on first glance could be a nightmare to most people, but one that I love as you never know what you will unearth.

A shop where you can buy Woods Ware for 10p an item, pretty floral bowls for 10p, sheets for 50p - shall I go on!



When I saw Mabel as she's now affectionately called, I did deliberate for a time wondering where on earth I would put her, what I would use her for, what colour would I paint her etc etc. I decided against her - walked to the car where hubby and the boys' were sat playing with various phones, electronic devices etc.  Having already named Mabel in the shop, I explained my dilemma to them - their first question was 'who is Mabel?' followed by 'what do you want a trolley for?'  Hubby already realises that there are some questions you just don't ask, and sometimes it's just easiest to say - 'get it, and think about it later'.



He kindly went off to the shop for me and duly paid for her and carried her back to the car.  He most certainly didn't want to be seen pushing a tea trolley along the pavement.........

Next problem - it didn't fit into the boot of his nice, but small car.  Ha ha.  I did jokingly suggest that we leave the boys' behind - take Mabel home, then come back for them later......After some jiggery pokery we managed to get her in.  Hubby was rather stressed as he didn't want his car damaged trying to wedge Mabel in.......

So there you have it, the story of Mabel the trolley.

12 comments:

Used-to-Bees said...

Oh wow - lovely! I would love a trolley like Mabel so I could make even more of an event of Sunday Tea! She will be so great with pretty china, cosy-topped teapot and a selection of cakes, biscuits and sandwiches...Enjoy her!
x

bellaboo said...

A lovely find and a bargain to boot.
Love your hubby's reaction,because that is just what mine would have said!
Can't wait to see Mabel all spruced up and with some pretty china and cakes on! :0)

LissyLou said...

i love Mabel!!!!

Can't wait to see her when she has a makeover xx

Loo xx from Jumbles and Pompoms said...

What a wonderful find. Can't wait to see what you do with Mabel. Soooo jealous of your old style charity shop. The ones where I live are as dull as ditch water and have been for months (apart from the small vintage, black and white stripey case that I left behind - why oh why oh why?). xx

Shortbread and Ginger said...

Sounds like a wonderful charity shops - not many of them around any more! Mabel looks like she will be really useful!
Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

Unknown said...

aahhh Hello Mabel she is smashing what colour will you paint her? she will come up a treat ;-)) Sounds like my kind of chairty shop i love the ones that there is no structure to and that doesn't have a shelf or stand with vintage and inflated prices stamped on. Enjoy her, dee x

KC'sCourt! said...

Mabel looks a delight and she has three tiers! She is gorgeous I love her!
Julie xxxxxxxxx

Becky said...

I am not sure I have even been a charity shop like this!? I want to very much though...to find my own Mabel!

Thecraftytrundler said...

I have a 'Mabel' too, but mine is called 'Tilly' ( Tilly trolley!!). I rubbed her down, undercoated & painted her in a cream satin paint. When the Cath Kidston sale was on, I bought half a metre of blue floral oilcloth, and it was just enough to cover the shelves. She is a lovely lady, and looks really pretty at craft & Vintage fairs displaying vintage china, and other goodies!
I believe I did put some pics on my blog on 28/09/11, if you'd like mto see her : )
Idid find another trolley a week later, but she needs to be completed!
Happy renovating : )

Sharon xx

Unknown said...

Mabel is Lovely...most definately the week for tea trolleys :-) x
Sophie

noelle said...

Oh cool, Mabel would make a great portable sewing station for all my bits and pieces!! My Granny had one similar , hmm don't know what happened to that!!!!

we said...

What an amazing find! I can't wait to see what you do with Mabel.